Monday 16 February 2015

Mystery of the Rambalam

We all know and love 'Black Betty', the classic tune made famous by such artists as Ram Jam, Tom Jones and Spiderbait, played across the world at birthdays, weddings, funerals and other important events in our lives.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R044sleOW6I


But what is a 'rambalam'? Sounding like a catchphrase that belongs alongside 'yabadabadoo!' and repeated so often that one could assume the writers were encouraged to reinforce the phrase as much as possible by some outside force, perhaps paid for each mention.




You see that advert would completely make sense if Rambalam airlines had existed. Perhaps it never got off the ground......


Plane pun there


The song itself however does date back into the 18th century which makes my hypothesis unlikely. Apparently 'Black Betty' refers to either a musket, a whip or a bottle of whiskey. However as non of these items make the sound 'rambalam' then the word remains a mystery.


I have taken the simplest answer here as being most likely correct. Whoever wrote Black Betty was a lazy writer, had the beat and half enough words for a song, and improvised the rest with rambalams.


I have therefore taken it upon myself to improve on this 200 year old piece of cultural american history and finally finish the lyrics. The lyrics now require at least two singers but I think this means that it still fits with the original marching song roots. I think the new sound gives it a much brighter feel, surely a morale boost that those men have unfortunately never had the chance to use.


The tune is the same and the new lyrics in green are sang to the same beat as 'Rambalam' was.



Whoa, Black Betty (What's her name?)
Whoa, Black Betty (That's her name)
Black Betty had a child (How nice for her)
The damn thing gone wild (Ate a minister)
She said "I'm worryin' outta mind" (Stressin' out)
The damn thing gone blind (His own fault no doubt)
I said Oh, Black Betty (I'm glad he's blind)
Whoa, Black Betty (Gives me peace of mind)


Oh, Black Betty (What's her name?)
Whoa, Black Betty (That's her name)
She really gets me high (I'm sure she does)
You know that's no lie (We all know she's on drugs)
She's so rock steady (That'd be the drugs)
And she's always ready (Sir she needs help...)
Whoa, Black Betty (Where's she at?)
Whoa, Black Betty (Just follow the cats)


Whoa, Black Betty (What's her name?)

Whoa, Black Betty (Where's she from?)

She's from Birmingham (Where is that?)

Way down in Alabam' (Oh yeah that's right!)

Well, she's shakin' that thing (That's her cat)

Boy, she makes me sing (We've noticed that)

Whoa, Black Betty (And blind cannibal Tim)

Whoa, Black Betty (Let's not visit them...)



No comments:

Post a Comment