Friday 8 August 2014

Dinosaurs are awesome enough!

When I was a wee lad, I remember drawing what I can only describe as a T-Rex with a bow and arrow balanced on its back.








Now I can assume, looking back on this, that I expected the T-Rex to be able to use this bow to defeat its enemies and generally be a cretaceous badass. This was presumably done by some sort of telekinesis unless it was able to team up with another T-Rex.... and even then there would be some pretty serious flaws in getting those arms to be able to operate a bow and arrow.






This picture is an insight into many of my thoughts at this age. Not only about dinosaur anatomy, which at around age five I can probably forgive, but about basic things such as how balancing objects works. 


Clearly I thought it was most likely that balance was merely a matter of will and that whatever point of an object I held, it would comply with my desires. An idea strongly supported by my balancing eagle toy at the time.




Now at this point my knowledge of dinosaurs had come only from illustrated kids books and the 'Land Before Time' films.  


As such when I came to drawing my own T-Rex I had that mindset that "that's all well and good Mr T-Rex, but what if you needed to eat something that was in a tree... or over a hill... or flying... or only had a weakness to arrows" and so the obvious course of action was to precariously balance a fucking bow and arrow on its back to improve its capabilities.


The reason I am remembering this now is that I have recently learned of a new Jurassic Park film being made, entitled Jurassic World. Where it would appear that they have looked at the thousands of badass dinosaur species and gone "yeah but all they do is bite you or slash you to death or stand on you or impale you.... YAWN!" and have decided to create their own new made up dinosaur.




Now the reason I came to the conclusion that T-Rex probably was quite capable of itself without the need for mind arrows being fired from atop its spine, was that I watched the Jurassic Park films. They taught us just how fucking terrifying it would be if real dinosaurs existed that could... open doors.... or spit acid.... well you get the point.



And as much as I would love to see the antagonist of this new film be revealed as a motherfucking T-Rex with a motherfucking bow and arrow balanced on its back... as this would validate how awesome my childhood ideas were. I feel that any other Madeuppysaurus would be a poor choice, and would distract the new generation of young doodlers from how awesome regular real bloodthirsty dinosaurs are.

No comments:

Post a Comment